Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Elementals

Do you remember these? Ral Partha Elementals.


About 20 years ago I bought these for playing D&D with. I only painted the Fire Elemental and poorly. I made the common mistake of reversing the light and dark colors of fire.

Well recently I came across them when I was looking for something else. So of course they hit the painting table, it was "new and shiney". And other projects got pushed back, LOL. So I rebased them all and got to painting.


Based on GW 40mm base. I like this as my standard go to monster base.

I love the "faces" that these guys have.

Earth, Wind and Fire!

I spent a lot of time trying to integrate the figure onto the base.

I like how the charred ground came out on this one.

I was very happy with the basing effects. Sometimes you have an idea of what you want, but not sure how to pull it off on the base or figure.

This was the hardest to blend. I think the blue works for the elemental, but smearing blue on the base doesn't. This was the weakest of the bases.

One funny thing I noticed about these. I thought the Fire Elemental would be easy to paint and the Water and Air would be hard. It was the complete opposite. Painting Flames is a pain in the ass. Yet the Water and Air was some simple dry brushing, just had to find the right colors.

Hopefully these will hit a D&D table near me soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment