Monday, August 27, 2018

Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game



Games Workshop is updating the Strategy Battle Game. The new version is getting renamed to Middle-Earth, Strategy Battle Game. There will be a new rules manual, a new starter box set and new figures. It can be pre-ordered now, and I think shipping next week. This is a major commitment from GW for SBG which has been on life support for years.




The Starter box set comes with 84 models and 2 brand new sculpts, Theoden foot and mounted. The rest of the box contains, Army of the Dead and Rohan vs a Troll, Nazgul and Orcs. You also get the full hard backed rules manual. Not some skimpy mini version. 


There will be 2 books covering the armies. One for the LOTR era models. and One for the Hobbit era models. The LOTR book will be available on launch day, and the Hobbit one will be out later this year. There is a PDF to tide you over till the Hobbit army book.



Even though I have most of the figures in the box set, I have already sent in my pre-order for the set and the army book. Can't wait.

Xin

6 comments:

  1. Don’t tempt me Frodo!

    I can pass on the box set I think as there’s nothing too awesome in there and I really have no interest in the army of the dead.

    But the new rules do look promising and I’m on the fence on preordering the book bundle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have everything in the box set except the Nazgul and Theoden which is Brand New!. My OCD completest personality forces me to get the box set. As I have all 5 of the other box sets. The best being Two Towers which my wife found at a garage sale for a $1!

      Delete
  2. Very interested to hear what you think about this game. Does it still hold up amongst the more 'modern' games like Saga, Bolt Action, Guild Ball etc? Does it have enough tactical/strategic depth? This was the game I started the hobby with, and I'm very tempted to go and return to it with this set. I fear I might be disappointed by the rules though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The base game will still play just as it did back in 2001. There are lots of videos on youtube covering the changes. I've yet to see the new rules, it should arrive next week. I think this game holds up very well vs newer games. This is still one of my favorite systems that I can play right out of the box without trying to "fix it" with house rules.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply! I'm glad to hear the game still has value. Now I just need to decide whether I 'need' the starter set or go straight for the books :))

      Delete
  3. Nearly two hundred dollars just to get the two rule books!?! GW is definitely erecting high enough barriers to entry to keep most folks out of the game...oh, well. I WAS excited by this release.

    ReplyDelete