Thursday, April 13, 2017

An Iconic D&D monster, The Rust Monster



Back in the early days of creating D&D Gary Gygax, was looking for figures to represent monsters. In a Dime Store(think Dollar Store) he found a bag of "prehistoric animals" from Hong Kong. He took it home and started to come up with names and stats for the weird plastic animals.


I don't know where I got it but I've had one lying around for years and years. It's been lost and found about 2 or 3 times in moves. The other day I was struck with inspiration to paint it. So once again I had to go find it. I was in luck, only 3 boxes searched and I had it.


He's a big fella so I used a 40mm base. As with all my plastic figures I glue lead fishing weights to the underside to add stability and just a nice feeling of "heft". I primed him up and was ready to go. It came out pretty good. 


I should have color adjusted the image. In reality it's more red than brown.


 You might notice my hack attempts at blending. A technique I suck at.





 Fireforge figure for scale.


Classic D&D art.


Overall I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. What image I had in my head was writing checks my painting skill couldn't cash. I have to finish the base, and add a heavy level of sealer. The plastic figure doesn't like the paint I used. It already scratched off on one leg. Maybe this guy needs to travel to Frostgrave.

Xin

1 comment:

  1. well Im about to do the same thing with a busted old rust monster from ebay :) did you use acrylics or enamels? did you clean it with soap+water before priming?

    ReplyDelete