Friday, August 30, 2019

Scratch Build Dark Elf Watch Tower

I recently finished The 2nd season of The Old World Army Challenge(Link).  My Army was Dark Elves. When finishing up the last post I built a display board for some fancy photos. I decided it need a little something extra. So I built a tower. Here's how I did it.


I did a mock up of the unit layout and from there terrain I wanted to add.

Some simple elevation changes. Glued in place, then used light weight spackle to cover seams. Added some gravel for looks. Sealed in place with Modge Podge.


I used Microsoft Publisher to make a Hexagon, and printed it out on Card Stock. Then used that to trace out onto foam multiple times to build up to a height that looked good.


Hand Cutting Foam does not give you straight edges, so I trimmed off the edges on the Proxxon Foam Cutter. I then cut a smaller hex set for another tier.




Looking online for inspiration I saw a lot of towers with Spikey Wings. I drew out a pattern on Card Stock. One for the top level and one for the bottom level. I used that pattern to cut out wings in Foam Core.

Some quick hot glue gun action and they are mounted.


I ran an extra bead of glue down the side of each wing for strength.

Dark Elves for Scale


Foamcore Door, Mountain Dew Hinges



Added some Foamcore Decorative Elements

It's all coming together.

Another Door for the 2nd level.


Ramp for the Front Door

Ready for paint.

I used a craft paint for my Dark Elves. I had Home Depot mix up a larger batch so I could paint the display board.



Primed the tower

Dry brushing the textured ground.

Display Board done.

I painted a the background after watching a couple of Bob Ross videos. I think I need to add some clouds

Here's the final shot.

And that's the Dark Elf tower. I will post more on the Army in a few days.

6 comments:

  1. Very nice. I do like the ground colour - it certainly gives a mood to the terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob "happy clouds" Ross as inspiration for any part of a dark elf project seems a perversion of all that is Bob Ross... Great quick build!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dark Elves can't have Happy Little Trees? Thanks

      Delete
  3. Excellent! Thanks for posting this! I will have to give one of these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Telangana Board of Secondary Education is Responsible for Promotion and Development of Secondary Education in Telangana State Board, BSE Telangana Board of Education for Public and Private Schools under the State government of Telangana, BSE Telangana Conducts 10th Class Examination Month of March 2021, Telangana 10th Class Social Studies textbooks 2021 in Government Schools Free Distribution for Candidates Education Purpose, TS SSC Books PDF Therefore TS SSC Textbooks 2021 include All the Subject. Every year around Lakh Students Appear for the Telangana Board 10th Class Annual Exam. The TS SSC Textbooks are Prepared by Senior Experts within Depth knowledge of each topic, BSE Telangana Every Year 10th Class Schools Open in Month of Jun After Summer Holidays, Every year lakhs of Candidates enrolled at Government Schools and Private Schools.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it's truly informative. I’m going to watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future. Many people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers! war of 1812 bounty land warrants

    ReplyDelete