Thursday, July 3, 2014

Building Stones River Battlefield, Part 2

So when we left off I had finished a rough carve of the river and hills. I've made some good progress since then, but not as quick as I thought.

One of the issues we are facing is some of the techniques we are using, we have never done before. So there is a lot of experimenting and testing, and discussion before we start the next step. Regardless we are moving forward. Here we go.

I've got the hills sanded smooth and ready for gluing. And I painted the river bed, to seal the foam and give me a black base to work from when I paint it.

I like to use Liquid Nails when gluing foam. A quick raid of the garden for some gravity helpers.

While that's been going on I've had some test pieces going on to figure out how I will paint the river. Here are 3 test pieces.




I think I like the last one best, so the river bottom will be a green. My technique still needs a lot of work.

Here I'm using a light weight spackle to smooth out the hills allowing figures to stand anywhere on them without falling over.

Testing the hills.

Here I'm testing to see if I want to put in a raised railway. I'm using Foamcore which has been stripped of it's paper. After this test we decided it was to high. We will lay a gravel bed for the track.

Most of the testing is done and we know how we are going to proceed with the rest of the build. Without testing we should move along at a good clip. Laying down a base ground color.

Using small stones that will denote the 4 Fords that are used during the battle. These will be painted after the river bottom, then the Realistic Water will be poured on top of them.

I sprayed glue on the stones, letting that dry overnight.

 Next up will be painting the river bed and start the roads. The roads will be a fine brown gravel or ballast, then will flock the woods and fields right up to the road edge.

That's all for now, Xin

1 comment:

  1. Pretty epic scale... I plan on something similar for the Fords of Isen, in the not too distant future, so will watch how you progess...

    ReplyDelete