Friday, June 23, 2017

Building Aspern-Essling Battlefield, Part 2

We are back again with some more updates on our table for Historicon. No matter how much time we think we have, it is never enough. And life is always getting in the way. Ok lets get on with the pics.



 After the light weigth spackle drys, we give it a quick sand to smooth out spackle ridges. I should have spackled more of the river bed. Getting paint in those crevices is a f'ing pain.


 We use Jeff's Fabulous Road Tool(patent pending) to score roads into the foam. After the outside of the roads is marked, then we go back and score in ruts. This takes a bit of time.


 Painting the roads. Again getting the paint in the ruts ARGGHHHH!


 Now block painting in the rest of the board. Base field color and village footprints.


 Hard to see, but I was testing different shades of paint for the base color. In the end it really doesn't make that much different as 95% of the board will be covered with flock.


Our resident sculptor Lou has given us some more buildings. I am making a mold using Smooth-On PMC 121/Wet. The only reason I use this particular type is the local model train store stocks it.


 My home made vibrating table using a hand held back massager that I got for Fathers Day 3 years ago. It not pretty but it gets the job done. 24 hours to set.


Work on the table gets interrupted as I got my very small delivery from Dwarven Forge Kickstarter. So we took some time to play with the few sets I got. My kids being in college as really put the brakes on my Dwarven Forge crack habit.


 Painting the river a yucky scummy green.


 Now the entire board has paint on it!!!


We have to go back over the board and fix overpaints and missing spots in the foam. I also edge the shore lines with a muddy color.

More updates to come and at a faster pace as we run out of time, again.....

Xin/Jeff, Alan, Bob and Lou

1 comment: