Monday, March 19, 2018

My Cold Wars FGA game, that almost wasn't.

Another wargaming convention is in the books. Cold Wars 2018 is over, and it's back to reality. CW was a lot of fun and a lot of work. If you've never put on games at a convention, let me tell you, it can be a ton of work, but a lot of fun too. I ran 2 games of Frostgrave Ghost Archipelago, that I almost had to cancel.

I was mostly finished with my Mayan/Aztec/Lizardmen inspired jungle ruins. I needed to paint them, and add in vegetation. I also had to lay down flock on my terrain boards, and finish painting the volcano. I had the whole week off to finish the terrain. It would be tight  but doable.

Now I work in IT, and when stuff breaks it has to be fixed yesterday. I get called into work for an emergency IT issue. This pretty much destroys any chance of completing the FGA terrain in time. I hate to cancel games, but I don't see any other choice. I was about to send an email to convention staff about canceling the games when it hit me, to just use my regular Frostgrave terrain. So that's what we did, we played FGA in the frozen city of Felstad.

So on to the pics.

 In the mausoleum

 One warband gangs up on the Frostgiant, and kills it in 2 turns.

This last pic was Saturday nights game. One of the Wardens cast Earthen Wall over and over to block all the entrances to the castle. At least 4 players got into the castle. It turned into a Gladiatorial Arena with much bloodshed.

It was a good con and 2 great games of FGA. I think all the players had fun. Now I need to finish the Jungle terrain for Historicon.


Monday, March 12, 2018

More terrain for Cold Wars

Years ago I found this Hot Wheels Playset at a garage sale.

It just screamed terrain/conversion to me so I bought it and I made some Warhammer Terrain. My friend kept calling it Vaal, from Star Trek. We played with it for awhile, then it went to the Historicon Flea Market.

When Frostgrave Ghost Archipelago came out. I knew I wanted to build another Lizardmen Temple. So I found another Hot Wheels playset on eBay and Vaal II was in the works.

So Vaal is all lit up now. Next step is to build a Vulcano around him. I might be insane. Here is some other pieces on working on.

Snake Shrine

Sacrifices to the Sun God

More to come. 3 days left.

Sunday, March 11, 2018

Warbands for Cold Wars FGA game

I have been frantically painting for my Cold Wars game. I have 3 warbands done, with more in varies stages of completion. I am re-using 2 warbands from my Frostgrave game, Skaven and my Cleric warbands. 

These are all Northstar plastics, FGA Crewmen, Oathmark Dwarves and Goblins. My friend Lou painted the Gobbo's and Crewmen. 

The Goblins

My Arabian Knights.

My Dwarves.

I really need to tweak the pics before posting, the color gets washed out. 

More to come,


Friday, February 23, 2018

Temple of the Great Jaguar

I'm working on another piece of terrain for my Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago game that I'm running at Cold Wars. My inspiration for this piece is the Mayan Temple of the Great Jaguar. I love these ruins. I actually built this for a school project when I was 10 years old with Paper Mache and newspaper.

I've learner a little bit about terrain building since them. Also we have access to much better building materials, mainly XPS foam. Not a lot of explaining to do. Just a lot of cutting and measuring. Again like the Huts, lots of math. Just enjoy the pics.


More to come. Stay tuned.