Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Frostgrave Ghost Archipelago Table Improvements

I'm running a large FGA game at Cold Wars in a few days. As well as fixing up the Rivoli battlefield, I'm doing some work on the FGA table as well.

Diving right in...


Here is the table from Historicon 2018


Vaal???





The first thing I want to fix is the tree stands. A friend of mine Tim Pleaslee made the stand in the upper right. I made the other tree stands. His stands look very jungle-ly. Mine look like the back 9 on Waikiki Country Club course.


First up, drown them in glue


The "dip" into flock bath. Various colors and textures.


Let them dry overnight


A lot of tree stands


Step 2, at foliage to each stand. I've been collecting bits of jungle terrain for a while.


I love my glue gun.


That is much better. It's a slow process but worth it.


 Another terrain element I had going was some free standing palm trees that I could sneak into tight spots.

First, cut off the head of a pin. Heat up the cut end till it's glowing. Then shove it into the bottom of a plastic tree. 


Bazinga! Free standing trees for your Foam battle table. Or a not very aerodynamic dart. 


The next thing I'm gonna fix is the pyramid topper. It worked for the snake god statue, but I was not happy with the look. Made me think of a Battlemech hanger. So it's out.


Replacing it with a ceremonial building on top. 


Since I did the game, Northstar has come out with some new figures that I want to use. How can you not get some Snake-Men?


Just released are the Tribals. And thanks to Lon at Brigade Games, he rushed me a box so I could get them painted.

So with Rivoli and Frostgrave I have a few things going on. I've been in way worse shape in previous cons. I got this.

Xin/Jeff


3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy you posts about terrain. Your tables are already excellent but these extra touchs just add to the look. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feeric and atmospheric terrain, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoah this blog is great i love reading your posts. Keep up the good work! You know, a lot of people are hunting around for this info, you could aid them greatly.national archives civil war

    ReplyDelete